Friday, February 6, 2009

Battle Royal..

I liked, uh loved, this story. Don't get me wrong; the way that the white "leaders" of the town treated the members African American community was absolutely disgusting; but despite the obvious racism an oppression that occurred in the town, one line clearly sticks out in my mind. The last line of the story states, "It was a dream I was to remember and dream again for many years after. But at that time I had no insight into its meaning. First I had to attend college." This may seem far fetched, but I can relate to this in a semi-sick and twisted way. When I was a senior in high school, I would have literally done anything and everything to get into ALL of the schools that I applied to. I would have rolled around on the electric rug in order for a scholarship. I would have battled every other high school senior Fight Club style if the prize was an acceptance letter from NYU. I would have literally chewed my own leg off (saw style) to get into certain places. Applying to college was my own battle Royal, an experience that caused me, at times, to doubt myself. These feelings of doubt were sometimes reinforced with rejection but ultimately erased with acceptance and success. 
"The first rule about fight club..........."
Samantha 

No comments: