Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Help me Help theachers .....

When I walk into a classroom, I wish professors knew how much some students I had on their plates, how thin they spread themselves out. In high school, I despised more than anything when a teacher would tell students that "they knew what they were going through." That would never make me feel better because I felt like no one could truly understand the exhaustion that I sometimes felt on a daily basis. I would understand that some teachers might have been through similar experiences, but no one is truly able to know exactly what another human is experiencing.

I wish that professors would know that "busy work", or assignments handed out just for the sake of passing time literally kill busy students... and when I say kill I mean slaughter mentally. In high school, which I now officially call a pure waste of my time, I would literally almost cry every time a teacher was absent and we were assigned bookwork to keep "busy" with. These assignments were never graded, and most times never checked, but just completed so the class would "behave for a sub". During times like these I literally sat in my chair and through a SH*T fit in my head. How do teachers expect students to knowingly complete pointless work when most of them don't have time to be in class in the fist place?

O man; I also wish that teachers would not throw out completed and graded work (projects) in front of students. In physics last year, we were assigned a group project of building a chair out out cardboard (thank you public school systems). As one of the main "point earning assignments" within the project, the group as required to draw multiple diagrams of the chair. Well, I was in charge of drawing the diagrams, and after a morning of school, lacrosse practice, and getting called into work after that, I finally finished the diagrams well into the night (or early morning). The next day in class, the teacher took one glance, and when i say glance I mean barely flip through the pages, of the diagram book, says "yea looks good" and throws it in the trash. Vomit. Yea, we got the points, but my work clearly seemed not worth it. If I knew she was only going to glance at the book, I would have gotten a better nights sleep.

Basically, I wish that teachers knew that any work that is not related to the real world, or real world appications, is not benefitting any educational expierence.
I'm going to go overdose on STAR magazine,
Samantha

No comments: