Monday, September 15, 2008

My First Day of School

During the last few weeks of April 2007, I wrote an article for my school newspaper entitled I Can't see it in the Stars. During that extremely stressful time of my senior year, I was torn between the decision of attending a popular four year institution or attending OCC. The article had an overall pessimistic tone and stressed my fears about missing out on the "traditional college experience". I eventually decided to attend OCC because i graduated in the top twenty percent of my class and therefore was able attend school for free. After attending the school for almost a full two weeks, I can honestly say that (GHASP!) I am pleasantly surprised by my classes, teachers, and overall atmosphere of the school. Yes, I miss my friends terribly and often find myself glued to my phone texting them whenever I can; but if absence makes the heart grow fonder, I have an extremely large amount of people to be fond of come thanksgiving break. 
I will never forget my first day of college, or lack thereof. School started on a Wednesday and I thought I was scheduled to have biology lab in the afternoon. Being the preoccupied person that I often am, I failed to double and triple check my schedule before driving to school and entering the science building. I was extremely surprised to find a sign on the door upon walking to the classroom. The sign informed me that all biology labs were canceled and began the week of September eighth. "That's logical", I thought to myself, and then proceed to exit to my car and drive home.
The next day, I finally figured out how to check my ocean cruiser e mail. What I found horrified me and sent shivers down my spine. Among the piles of alerts and syllabus from my English teacher :), I found an e mail from my biology teacher at the bottom of my inbox. The letter began with, " Since you did not attend class yesterday" and ended with a syllabus for the semester. I was shocked. After about twenty minutes of hyperventilation I realized that I am scheduled to attend biology lab on Mondays and lecture on Wednesdays. I quickly e mailed my teacher and attended lab the following week. 
My hardest class this semester is going to be biology because an immense amount of material is covered in one chapter. Despite the overflow of information, i am still planning on getting an A for the semester, I hope. In order to achieve my goal, I am planning on dedicating a large block of time to studying all of the course material. Instead of cramming the night before, my goal is to gradually study the material over the course of a few days. I even purchased the extra "student biology study guide" in order to make sure that I was absorbing all of the information. I am going to be extremely busy this semester. 

No comments: