Tuesday, October 21, 2008

PropaganDUH

Let me be the first to say it. I am an open minded individual who is open to all races, religions, and cultures. I have my own opinions and ideas about political figures, celebrities, school, and I have no problem expressing my ideas upon request. I accept and respect cultures and religions that are different from mine and I also respect individuals who share completely different ideas and beliefs. I do not respect those individuals who share beliefs that are different from mine and insist on pushing their beliefs on me. Do not ask me for an honest opinion then judge me and tell me that I am wrong.
Unless American citizens are living in cardboard boxes, which many will be if someone doesn't fix the economy, the presidential race has had somewhat of an impact in every one's daily life. Naturally, the importance for change and the need for a new leader had sparked political debates nation wide. These political conversations even made it all the way to Manahawkin New Jersey and happened to take place between me and a particular table that I happened to be waiting on.  I want to start off by saying that the table that the conversation took place on consisted of some of the nicest people that I have ever met. About midway through the conversation, the gentlemen asked me who I was voting for in the election. As soon as I told him that I was voting for Obama, the table glared at me in pure disgust. This only lasted for about a second and was immediately followed by a "well your tip just got cut in half "joke (FYI I received an excellent tip). Nothing more was said about the election at dinner, so I figured that I dodged a bullet after the awkward moment elapsed. WRONG.
I was horrified at what I saw after the table left. On top of the signed credit card slip was the words "Vote McCain." Chills were instantly sent down my spine; not because I thought  I forgot to charge for the coffee ( I Remembered), but because I was somewhat annoyed that someone was still trying to push their opinion on me after we already disagreed. I know that these people were just joking, but I couldn't help but think, wow that was completely unnecessary. I wasn't systematically telling them to vote for Obama. Seriously, what were they trying to accomplish?I respected the fact that we liked different presidential candidates. Oh Wow maybe I will vote McCain just because it says so on my credit card slip. Sorry republicans, I respect the fact that the right winged politicians love recession and war, but I think I'll stick with the person who I think is right for leading the nation.
Let's agree to disagree,
Samantha

No comments: